We are here to encourage trade and commerce; to encourage uniformity and certainty in the customs and usages of trade; to settle equitably and justly differences between our members; to promote networking between persons in business, and to encourage high ethical standards in trade and commerce.
Highland Park is a city in Wayne County in the State of Michigan, within Metro Detroit. The city is completely surrounded by Detroit except for a small portion that touches the city of Hamtramck, which is also surrounded by Detroit. The area that was to become Highland Park began as a small farming community, on a large ridge located at what is now Woodward Avenue and Highland, six miles (9.7 km) north of Detroit. In 1818 a prominent Detroit by the name Judge Augustus B. Woodward bought the ridge and platted the village of Woodwardville in 1825. The development of the village failed. Another Detroit judge, Benjamin F. H. Witherell, son of Michigan Supreme Court justice James Witherell, attempted to found a village platted as Cassandra on this site in 1836, but this plan also failed.
By 1860, the settlement was given a post office under the name of Whitewood. After a succession of closures and reopenings of the rural post office, the settlement was finally incorporated as a village within Greenfield Township and Hamtramck Township under the name of Highland Park in 1889.
In 1907, Henry Ford purchased 160 just north of Manchester Street between Woodward Avenue and Oakland Street to build an automobile plant. Construction of the Highland Park Ford Plant was completed in 1909, and the area's population dramatically increased just a few years later in 1913, when Henry Ford opened the first assembly line at the plant. The village of Highland Park was incorporated as a city in 1918 to protect its tax base, including its successful Ford plant, from Detroit's expanding boundaries.
In 1910 Highland Park, then a village, had 4,120 residents. Between 1910 and 1920 during the boom associated with the automobile industry, Highland Park's population grew to about 46,500, an increase of 1,081 percent. The growth of Highland Park and neighboring Hamtramck broke records for increases of the population; both municipalities withstood annexation efforts from Detroit. In 1925, Chrysler Corporation was founded in Highland Park. It purchased the Brush-Maxwell plant in the city, which would eventually expand to 150 acres, and serve as the site of the company's headquarters for the next 70 years.
• Restore a system of world class education and an independent school board, which will provide educational opportunities across a variety of academic platforms.
• Empower all of the stakeholders in Highland Park, economically and politically, through education, motivation, and participation.
• Increase the population in Highland Park and the neighboring areas.
• Achieve 100% occupancy of every habitable building – residential and industrial, in Highland Park, and ensure that they are clean, blight-free, and beautiful.
• Encourage and support the independence of Highland Park to empower it to become a global, economic power center.
• Advocate for Highland Park to harness innovation to become the first city in the world that is totally powered through alternative energy.
• Incorporate more returning citizens, retirees, veterans, and youth into the business arena and workforce through proper training and opportunities.
• Establish and encourage more diverse businesses in Highland Park.
• Ensure that the HPCC expands its work beyond the borders of Highland Park to provide a broader scope of regional services.
• Focus the HPCC on the provision of services on a new 21st century model of diversity to include people of all backgrounds, ethnicities, sexual orientations, and income brackets.
• Support the establishment of an effective and progressive synergy between stakeholders and government.
• Enhance the City to become more community-driven.